In case you did not know, my mother is incredible. She helped me sew this dress and understand more about sewing and pattern-making. We started from scratch. I couldn't get the idea out of my head - Lily has loved Mary Poppins since she was tiny. Something about the non-cartoon factor sparked her interest early. She couldn't be more happy with the dress and neither could I. I am thrilled to have it done - it was born in my head back in August and we ran into more than one snafu - I basically had to make the bodice twice because of how I cut it the first time. Grrr...trial and error. But I am happy to report that I didn't have to buy any additional supplies after my first trip. I found my inspiration from an etsy designer who wanted close to $200 for a very similar dress. Mine cost a lot of time...but a lot less money. There is something about Halloween - I don't even know what brings it out in me but I LOVE creating costumes that Lily Jo loves. I also really enjoy the time I get to spend with my mom, what she teaches me, her "khhhhheeeeeeeeeeeewwwww" moments when she's done something wrong, and how much she laughs at my jokes.
PS - one of my favorite sewing bloggers posted this today (October 19). I won't say I came up with the idea first, but I just wanted to put it out there that I didn't copy this idea from her tutorial! (for once in my life) If she posts tutorials on how to create the boot covers, I'll probably be copying that part. :) I actually made my own dress & pattern that included a lined bodice, full skirt, lace-edged "bib" section, and a corset with rivets & boning!! Go me!