Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October 15, 2011

In case you did not know, my mother is incredible.  She helped me sew this dress and understand more about sewing and pattern-making.  We started from scratch.  I couldn't get the idea out of my head - Lily has loved Mary Poppins since she was tiny.  Something about the non-cartoon factor sparked her interest early.  She couldn't be more happy with the dress and neither could I.  I am thrilled to have it done - it was born in my head back in August and we ran into more than one snafu - I basically had to make the bodice twice because of how I cut it the first time.  Grrr...trial and error.  But I am happy to report that I didn't have to buy any additional supplies after my first trip.  I found my inspiration from an etsy designer who wanted close to $200 for a very similar dress.  Mine cost a lot of time...but a lot less money.  There is something about Halloween - I don't even know what brings it out in me but I LOVE creating costumes that Lily Jo loves.  I also really enjoy the time I get to spend with my mom, what she teaches me, her "khhhhheeeeeeeeeeeewwwww" moments when she's done something wrong, and how much she laughs at my jokes. 
PS - one of my favorite sewing bloggers posted this today (October 19).  I won't say I came up with the idea first, but I just wanted to put it out there that I didn't copy this idea from her tutorial! (for once in my life)  If she posts tutorials on how to create the boot covers, I'll probably be copying that part. :)  I actually made my own dress & pattern that included a lined bodice, full skirt, lace-edged "bib" section, and a corset with rivets & boning!!  Go me!

No comments: